WS800-UMB Smart Weather Sensor
First and only compact all-in-one weather sensor with detection of lightning strikes
From the WS product family of professional intelligent measurement transducers with digital interface for environmental applications. Integrated design with ventilated radiation protection for measuring: Air temperature, relative humidity, precipitation intensity, precipitation type, precipitation quantity, solar radiation, lightning detection, air pressure, wind direction and wind speed. One external temperature sensor is connectable.
- temperature, relative humidity, air pressure, wind direction, wind speed, precipitation intensity, precipitation quantity, radiation, lightning strikes
- Ultrasonic/Wind, NTC/T, Capacitive/RH/Pressure, Radar/Precipitation, radio wave emission/Lightning strikes
- Wind detection with birdproof construction. First and only compact all-in-one weather sensor with lightning detection, low power, heater, aspirated radiation shield, maintenance-free operation, open communication protocol.
- RS485 with supported protocols UMB-Binary, UMB-ASCII, Modbus-RTU, Modbus-ASCII, XDR and SDI-12
- 8381.U01, 8381.U01-NA
- Examples of use
- Lightning detection
- Product variants
- Technical Data
Advantages of the Smart Weather Sensor WS800
- Measuring wind direction and speed insusceptibly to bird nesting thanks to roofed construction
- First and only all-in-one compact weather sensor with lightning detection
- Built-in data pre-processing, universal interfaces and selectable output protocols
- Compatible with many commercially available Met/HydroMet dataloggers and PLS systems thanks to an open communication protocol
- Maintenance-free operation – no moving parts that can wear out
- Suitable for all climate zones; also for solar-powered automatic meteorological stations
- Integrated heater that can be switched on if there is danger of frost
Examples of use of the Smart Weather Sensor WS800
The robust and maintenance-free smart weather sensor WS800 is designed for professional meteorological applications in all climate zones. It delivers reliable data, even in extreme ambient conditions.
Examples of use:
- Weather observation for road and traffic control systems
- Automatic weather station / Automatic weather sensor (AWS)
- PV-Monitoring / Solar Monitoring on photovoltaic farms
- Hydro-meteorological stations
- Weather observation for building automation
- Weather stations at airports, marinas and onboard ships
More about lightning detection of the WS800 Weather Sensor
WS800-UMB includes lightning detection by an integrated sensor analysing the radio wave emission of lightnings. It delivers a count of recognized lightnings.
The sensor analyses spectrum and wave form of the received signal to suppress the detection of man made electrical discharges.
Product variants - Smart Weather Sensor WS800
The Smart Weather Sensor WS800 is available in two product variants because of special laws concerning the use of radar technology in the USA, which is part of the precipitation measurement of the WS800.
- Smart Weather Sensor WS800-UMB - base version (Article no. 8381.U01)
- Smart Weather Sensor WS800-UMB - Country version: USA (Article no. 8381.U01-NA )
Brochure - Lufft - Weather Critical Operations (EN)
Traffic weather, renewable energies and more
EU declaration of conformity - Lufft WS Family
EU declaration of conformity - Lufft WS Family
Firmware - WSXXX
For WSXXX device versions ≥30 (see serial number)
Firmware - WSXXX
For WSXXX device versions 1 - 29 (see serial number) / Für WSXXX Geräteversionen 1 - 29 (siehe Seriennummer)
Leaflet - Product Family of smart Weather Sensors - Lufft WSxxx Series
Manual - Lufft UMB Config Tool (EN)
Manual - Lufft UMB Protocol (EN)
Manual - Lufft WSxxx weather sensor (EN)
Quickstart - Lufft WSXXX - Smart Weather Sensor Family (DE/EN)
Software - Lufft - ConfigTool .NET
Software - UMB Config Tool
Video - Lufft: a passion for precision (Corporate Video)
Video - WS product family - Integration of external sensors
Video - WS product family: 10 Years Lufft WS Product Family - A Success Story
Video - WS product family: Our modular concept of the WS-family
|Dimensions||Ø approx. 150 mm, height approx. 317 mm|
|Weight||Approx. 1.5 kg|
|Interface||RS485, 2 - wire, half - duplex|
|Power supply||11...32 VDC|
|Power supply||5...11 VDC (electronics with limited precision of measurements)|
|Power supply||24 VDC +/- 10% (heater)|
|Operating temperature||-50...60°C (with heater)|
|Operating rel. humidity||0...100% RH|
|Cable length||10 m|
|Protection level housing||IP66|
|Standards/Regulations||Compliant to IEC 61724-1:2017 Class C|
|Mast mounting suitable for||Mast diameter 60 - 76 mm
|Lightning detection||Number of lightning events|
|Coverage area||5 - 10 km
|Measuring range||-50...60 °C|
|Accuracy||±0.2°C (-20...50°C), otherwise ±0.5 °C (> -30 °C)
|Measuring range||0 ... 100 % RH|
|Accuracy||±2 % RH
|Measuring range||300 ... 1200 hPa|
|Accuracy||±0.5 hPa (0...40 °C)
|Measuring range||0 ... 359.9 °|
|Accuracy||< 3° RMSE > 1.0 m/s
|Measuring range||0...75 m/s|
|Accuracy||±0.3 m/s or ±3 % (0...35 m/s) ±5 % (>35 m/s) RMS|
|Droplet size||0,3 … 5 mm|
|Detection sensitivity||0,01 mm/h|
|Particle velocity||0.9 ... 15.5 m/s|
|Precipitation types||rain/ snow|
|Solid precipitation||5.1 ... ~30 mm|
|Intensity resolution||0.01 mm/h|
|Amount resolution||0.1 mm|
|Accuracy||20 % under laborary conditions|
|Reproducibility||Typical >90 % under laborary conditions|
|Response time (95%)||< 1s|
|Spectral range||300 to 1100 nm|
|Measuring range||1400 W/m²|
WS product family: Communication after protocol change
How to communicate with a WS-Sensor and the UMB-config-Tool if the protocol was changed for example to Modbus or SDI-12?
After a Reset ( switching On/Off the sensor) every WS-Senor will start up for the first 5 seconds in UMB-protocol and the standard baud rate of 19200Bd. Independend to the configured protocol and baudrate settings of the WS-Sensor.
In this first 5 Seconds you will be able to connect via UMB-config-Tool to the WS-Sensor after this first command was send the UMB-protocol will stay for 10 minutes after that it switches back to the original configured protocol. This Time will always be extended to 10 minutes if a new UMB command was send.
WS800: What is the max. radius a lighting can be detected from the WS800?
The WS800 uses a integrated electronic chip to detect the lighting. The max. radius of this detection is approximately 10 Km.
WS product family: SDI-12 wiring plan for Device version >= 42
How to connect a WS-sensor with a device version >= 42 (hardware version >=14) to a SDI-12 system?
The wiring plan has changed compared to the wiring plan of older WS-Sensor device versions.
The new wiring plan is:
- +VDD = brown
- GND = white
- SDI12_Signal = yellow
- SDI12_GND = white
This is also mentioned as a note in the latest WS-sensor manual in the section 8 Connections